Sunday, October 23, 2011

Overcoming Fear

A bolt of lightning ripped through the air cracking like a whip in my ears. The loud, piercing thunder sent a precise chill through my body; my senses were alert. Within moments, the sirens screamed throughout the small Oklahoma town. We ran across the school parking lot to find shelter in the Okemah elementary school. Dodging potholes, soaked in rain, and prepared for the worst; I lead my siblings to shelter. The small elementary school was soon filled with people—of all kinds. The warning of an October tornado brought a mixed crowd of rich and poor, bathed and “warshed,” educated and ill-mannered, fit and fat, tall and short, champion and coward—all of them running to a single place to find protection for their loved ones.  Some showed their concern for the weather with an Okie’s “sit on the front porch and watch the tornado blow by” attitude, while others were less lionhearted. Tears of panic perspired inside the walls of the building, mimicking the storm outside. Sweat from confusion compounded the hallways like a dense fog. I, a protector at heart, watched every movement of every person. Picking up the slightest hand gestures and positioning of body movements.

In the midst of the chaos, I looked to my right and there was a little nine-year-old boy. He looked back at me and said, “You think we are going to be safe?” I said, “What do you think?” He replied, “I’m not sure. Everyone looks scared. I don’t think it looks good.” I then said, “Well, what do you feel?” He looked at me, then looked at his hands; I was holding them. “I think we are going to be alright.” I smiled at him, “And why is that?” He replied, “Because, you are here to protect me.”


After some time, the storm withered and into the darkness we went. Back to the places we came from. Young and old, moved up the stairs, down the hallways, into the rain. Some were angry. Some were relieved. Some were worried about the upcoming social events. Some were just glad to be safe. Some were argumentative. Some were apologetic. Some were broken. Some were healed.

While fear lurks, waiting to devour us in doubt and mistakes, there is also an opportunity that presents itself. The deepest moment of fear is ultimately a choice we make to hold the person next to us and comfort them in times of panic, or to shy away and let life’s circumstances take control.
I encourage you friends, do not shy away from fear, but run into it boldly.
What is it you are scared of? Rejection. Insecurity. Bondage. Image. Regret. Pain. Tomorrow.

Fear is meant to be overcome.

John 16:33 In this world there will be trouble, but take heart, for I have overcome the world.

Stand up, lead those around you, overcome the fear of the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment